By electrically stimulating nerve fibres in the cochlea, cochlear implants allow recipients to perceive sound.The MAESTRO Cochlear Implant System
is an effective, high performance solution for individuals with severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Most users can enjoy music or successfully participate in conversation, even in the most challenging listening situations.
Who Can Benefit from a
Cochlear Implant System (CI)?
MED−EL cochlear implants, including the MAESTRO Cochlear Implant System, are being implanted successfully in over 90 countries worldwide by both prelingually and postlingually deafened children and adults. While it is not possible to predict exact benefits for each cochlear implant user, the following guidelines may be helpful:
- Implantation at a young age is highly recommended because hearing is important for language development and because research has shown better outcomes for children implanted at an early age
- Older children and adults with previous speech and language development generally perform better with a cochlear implant
- A long period of profound hearing loss may limit the benefits of a cochlear implant
A cochlear implant is designed for:
- children with a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. Age at implantation may be as young as several months, depending on individual circumstances and local practices
- adults with severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears
- individuals who receive little or no benefit from hearing aids
- individuals with access to education and (re)habilitation follow-up programmes
MAESTROTM Cochlear Implant System, for severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss