1. The SYNCHRONY cochlear implant is MR conditional. Recipients with a SYNCHRONY cochlear implant may be safely MRI scanned at 0.2, 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0 Tesla following the conditions detailed in the instructions for use.
2. Kim, B.G., Kim, J.W., Park, J.J., Kim, S.H., Kim, H.N., & Choi, J.Y. (2015). Adverse events and discomfort during magnetic resonance imaging in cochlear implant recipients. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 141(1), 45–52. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2014.2926.
These figures represent the percentage of recipients in the study who experienced discomfort, pain, or other complications during 1.5 T MRI (two 3.0 T scans were excluded from the figure). Kim et al. (2015) is a retrospective study looking at
1.5 T and 3.0 T MRI scans performed on CI recipients between 2003 and 2014. The study included 18 individuals; 5 recipients had Advanced Bionics devices, 11 had Cochlear devices, and 3 had MED-EL implants. Advanced Bionics recipients had 9 total 1.5
T scans; Cochlear recipients had 12 total 1.5 T scans and 2 total 3.0 T scans; and MED-EL recipients had 8 total 1.5 T scans.
3. Todt, I. Tittel, A., Ernst, A., Mittmann, P., & Mutze, S. (2017) Pain Free 3 T MRI scans in cochlear implantees. Otology & Neurotology, Epub ahead of print.
4. Unless required for diagnostic reasons.
5. SYNCHRONY 2 has a self-aligning magnet, so there’s no painful magnetic pulling on the implant during an MRI scan.
6. Audio processor reliability rate is shown as the inverse of monthly